Victoria Farrar-Myers, Ph.D., was first elected to Arlington City Council in 2016, and is a dedicated civic leader, an award-winning educator, hands-on mentor, and a proud mom. Committed to helping build our community in Arlington and holding an at-large City Council seat, Victoria represents the entire city with passion and a strong work ethic to ensure that the City of Arlington best serves its residents.
As the first member of her immediate family to graduate from college, Victoria continued on to earn her Ph.D. in Political Science. Victoria moved to Arlington in 1998 to teach at the University of Texas of Arlington, where she worked for sixteen years. Both at UTA and in her current position as Senior Fellow & Director of the Tower Scholars Program at SMU, Victoria has established herself as a highly respected educator and scholar. Victoria and her husband, Jason, recently celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary, and live in Arlington with their 6-year-old son, Kyle.
Among the many awards and recognitions that Victoria has garnered are:
* 2017 Arlington Chamber of Commerce Women’s Alliance Rising Star Award
* 2017 Texas Municipal League Certificate of Achievement
* 2016 Texas Municipal League Certificate of Achievement
* National Finalist, Citizen Service Before Self Honors, The Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation (2012)
* Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award, The University of Texas System (2012)
* President’s Award, Junior League of Arlington (2012)
* Academy of Distinguished Teachers, UT Arlington (2011)
* Faculty Member of the Year Award, Texas Association of College and University Student Personnel Administrators (2007)
Victoria strives to make sure the “needs” of the City and its residents are met with high quality service, and that the “wants” serve a viable and useful role within our City without unnecessarily draining valuable City resources. She focuses not only on the decisions that the City Council makes, but the process by which those decisions get made. She thoroughly evaluates the policy matters before the Council, actively seeks out input from citizens and others throughout the City, and thoughtfully considers all viewpoints to ensure that her decisions are well-reasoned and well-informed.
Victoria on City Council
REBUILDING OUR COMMUNITY'S STREETS
Roadways are the web that connects our citizens. Our streets continue to age, and there needs to be ongoing commitment to repair and rebuild them. On City Council, I have supported key efforts to identify and address areas that need improvement.
RESPONSIBLY MANAGING YOUR CITY TAXES
As your City Council member I will continue to work to ensure that our tax base grows so your taxes stay low and our city services continue to be fully funded. By expanding our industrial and commercial tax base and increasing jobs, we can better fund city services taking the burden off residential taxes. Using your taxpayer dollars responsibly is one of my priorities as shown by my votes on Council to reduce tax rates.
PROMOTING PUBLIC SAFETY
Arlington is the 50th largest city in the nation. In order to maintain and improve our level of service, we need to continue to support and properly equip our police and fire personnel. These departments do an outstanding job with the current resources they have. As your City Council member, I have worked to ensure that our fire and police have the resources they need to better serve you.
BUILDING OUR COMMUNITY
Although city government does not need to provide the solution to all societal problems, as a leader within the community I strive to shine light on problems and to work with non-profits, faith-based groups, educational institutions, and other interested parties to find solutions to difficult problems. Whether it is building a pipeline of future leaders by fostering youth engagement in city government through internships, creating research connections with UTA and TCC Southeast that enhance city initiatives, encouraging neighbors to join together to help improve their neighborhood, or promoting public-private programming to seek solutions for homelessness and housing quality, I try to honor the important responsibility that comes with serving as an at-large member of the City Council.
SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
As someone who believes in cultivating the entrepreneurial spirit, I have worked with small business owners and leaders in the business community to identify ways to further promote a culture supporting small businesses in Arlington. Through hosting discussions with affected parties and key city departments, we have started to improve communication between business owners and city personnel.
Barbara & Jack Murphy
Bill & Carol Daly
Bill and Sally Hopper
Christopher and Valerie Landry
Daniel & Charna Blumberg
David Sargent Family
Esteban & Heather Blanco
Honorable Andy Nguyen
Honorable Barbara Nash
Honorable Bill Zedler
Honorable David & Tonya Cook
Honorable John Hibbs
Honorable Matt Krause
Honorable Mike Farhat
Honorable Richard & Sylvia Greene
Honorable Wayne Ogle
Jane and Larry Hurley
Kimberly Phillips White
Luisa del Rosario
Ray & Pru Brett
Reggie & Bridgette Lewis
Richard & Delores Pell
Samuel Smith III
Sue Stevens Durbec
Tom & Diane Cravens
Warren & Annette Norred
William & Michal Tincup
Together we can make a difference!
Arlington City Council Member
District 7 At Large
Re-elect Victoria Farrar-Myers
Election Day: Saturday, May 2, 2020
Victoria in the Community
For the past two decades, Victoria has taken an active, hands-on role in helping build our community, doing everything from taking on leadership roles in numerous organizations to literally rolling up her sleeves to take out the trash as part of a community clean-up project. Even as a City Councilwoman, Victoria maintains a high-level of involvement in civic organizations.
Victoria’s long-standing commitment to our community includes:
* Arlington ISD Education Foundation (2017-present)
* Rotary Club of Arlington (Member, 2015-present; Community Service Director, 2016-present)
* City of Arlington Planning & Zoning Commission (Member, 2015-2016)
* Leadership Arlington (President, 2016-2017; Board Member (various roles), 2006-2008 & 2014-present; Class Representative, 2006-2007)
* Arlington Independent School District Financial Futures Committee (Member, 2013)
* Junior League of Arlington (Sustainer 2012-Present; Member, 2006-2012; Parliamentarian, 2011-2012; Strategic Planning Committee, 2016)
* Center for Transforming Lives – Formerly YWCA (Board Member, 2015-2017)
* Arlington Chamber of Commerce (Membership Committee, 2017-present; Member-Education & Workforce Development Council, 2005-2008; Member-Governmental Relations Committee, 2005-2008)
* Member, Champion Education Committee (formerly known as A+ Arlington Committee), a collaboration between the Arlington Chamber and Arlington Independent School District, Arlington, Texas (Member, 2005-2008; Chair, 2007-2008)
* Co-Founder and Inaugural Faculty-in-Residence, Center for Community Service Learning, UT Arlington (2001-2002)
* St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church (Lector, 2010-present; Eucharistic Minister, 2010-present; Parish Pastoral Council, 2015-2017; Discipleship/Stewardship Committee, 2015-2017; Confirmation Class Teacher, 2015-2017)
* Republican Women of Arlington, Member (1998-Present)
* Arlington Republican Club, Member (1999-Present)